Complete Guide to VOC Reporting for Paint Shops

Written by Andy Potts - Ultrimax - 17/03/23

 changing your spray booth filters


The Complete Guide to VOC Reporting for Paint Shops

In a world facing a global climate crisis and the need to protect the planet for future generations, it’s no surprise that emissions reduction is a top priority for government and local authorities. Paint shop managers have never been under more pressure to operate sustainable working practices and take responsibility for the emissions that they produce. Having a robust and reliable VOC reporting process is key to meeting this expectation. In this article, we explain the legal requirements for VOC reporting and how Ultrimax can help you to comply.

The legal requirements

Businesses in the finishing sector are required to monitor and limit the VOCs that they consume under the EU’s Industrial Emissions Directive (IED). In England and Wales, this is regulated under the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016 (EPR). If your annual VOC consumption exceeds 5 tonnes, the EPR states that you must inform your local authority, apply for a permit and comply with its requirements. One of those requirements is VOC reporting as part of a solvent management plan.

Permit purpose and requirements

Permits are designed to reduce or control your VOC emissions. Sites that exceed permit limits must continually measure their VOC concentrations.

The requirements of your permit will be unique to your business operations. The document will contain details of limits imposed on your solvent emissions and how and when these must be met. For example, you may have limits associated with your production units, such as ‘x’ grams of VOC per item coated. Alternatively, you may opt to follow a solvent reduction scheme (more about this later), with limits imposed on specific substances.

The permit will also state:

  • Any abatement equipment and other measures required to control emissions
  • Any controls or limits on releasing solvents to land/groundwater
  • Monitoring and reporting requirements


VOC reporting requirements (solvent management plan)

If you have a permit, you must submit an annual solvent management plan — a balance sheet that compares the sum of organic solvents that have been put into your coatings processes to the VOC output from the processes. To do this, you need to determine:

  1. The quantities of all solvents purchased, used, recovered and reused.
  2. All outputs of solvents — VOC emissions in waste gases, water, air, in finished products, and in waste.


 voc reporting and water based solvents

Read our guide to calculating VOCs in paint >>

Solvent reduction schemes

If your organisation has a strong commitment to the environment and sustainable practices you may choose to implement a solvent reduction scheme to comply with permit requirements. For this to be successful, you will need to identify a suitably qualified and committed senior manager to take responsibility for the scheme. They will need to:

  • Coordinate the collection of solvent use data for the solvent management plan
  • Analyse solvent management plan data to identify areas for improvement
  • Devise, implement and coordinate the solvent reduction plan
  • Set, monitor and review key performance indicators to ensure that the scheme meets emissions targets
  • Communicate with regulators.


What about businesses that consume less than 5 tonnes of VOCs per year?

Businesses of all sizes are expected to limit their solvent use and manage their VOC emissions. It’s the right thing to do for the health and safety of your workforce, for the environment, and for your reputation. Your business also needs to keep track of its VOC consumption and emissions to ensure that it is below the 5-tonne threshold and to be able to evidence this to regulatory authorities when asked.

The consequences of non-compliance

If your paint shop fails to meet emissions requirements or is subject to an inspection that identifies non-compliance, the consequences can be catastrophic. You may be told to stop production until the problems are rectified. You will undoubtedly face hefty consultancy bills in an effort to identify and remedy the issues. Ultimately, if you repeat offend or cannot control emissions and meet local targets, HSE can shut you down.

How Ultrimax can help you with VOC reporting and solvent reduction plans

We strive to make it easy for our customers to operate in a compliant, sustainable manner by helping them to stay abreast of their VOC consumption, solvent usage and emissions. We offer a range of services, often free of charge, to help you identify any problems with your VOC consumption before they result in you having to stop production:

  • Invoices include details of your order's VOC figures as standard.
  • On-request monthly VOC reports for your Ultrimax purchases (free of charge) to feed into your end-of-month reporting processes.
  • Site visit to discuss your VOC management policies and processes.
  • Advice on and supply of products that support solvent reduction.

In many cases, we can offer our clients a free consultation with a complimentary paint shop production flow analysis.


Need More Help With VOC Reports?

For further professional advice , call our Total Paint Support Team on +44(0)1302 856666 or email

 aerosols consumables and sanding aerosols

 paint and thinner  spray equipment and spray guns  tools and equipment

Get Expert Support

Need more information before buying a booth? Our Total Paint Shop Support Team can help you with any enquiry.

Call: 01302 856666


YouTube: Need advice but like watching short videos? Check out our YouTube Help Channel.

Download brochure: Click here


Related Articles

Back to Blogs

Get in touch... today!

Compare Products (0)

We use cookies to enhance you experience. Click to view our Cookie Policy or Manage Cookies or