Painting Pontoons Made Easy For Marine. Author – Andy Potts August 25th 2020 (reading time 3 mins)
When Ultrimax Customer Belmont Shotblasting needed a solution to a marine based issue, we were on hand to provide a less slippery solution.
Belmont were working with P&D Environmental Ltd who provide large scale marine applications such as pontoons and dredging equipment. The current pontoon range although looking great would become extremely slippery for wheeled and foot traffic when either wet from a downpour or from prevailing moisture in the marine environment it works within.
Ultrimax Added Some Grit to the Problem
To solve the slippery pontoon tops, Ultrimax suggested a proven method of a 3 stage paint system.
Stage 1 – Blast and Primer the pontoon in Jotamastic 90 which is a marine grade primer. This product was chosen because it provides long lasting protection in environments with high corosivity and can be used as a primer, mid coat, finish coat or as single coat system in atmospheric and immersed environments.
Primed Pontoon – Note the speckled top surface is actually the addition of Anti-Skid Aggregate.
Stage 2 – Addition of Anti-Skid Aggregate
Technically you could call this stage 1.5 as the anti-skid aggregate is always advised to be added in at the primer stage. Adding at this stage provides a chance to evenly distribute the aggregate by sprinkling into the drying primer layer of Jotamastic 90.
The Anti-Skid aggregate as the name suggests provides a non-slip surface and provides extra grip for wheeled and foot traffic in damp / wet environments such as marine applications.
Stage 3 – Ultrithane 31 Topcoat
A final layer of Ultrithane 31 2K topcoat provides a significant durable layer to the pontoon as well as a pleasing colour finish in green. A primer and topcoat itself and environmentally-friendly isocyanate free, Ultrithane 31 a safe and reliable product. Ultrithane 31 being a polyurethane 2K is highly weather and moisture resistant but when coupled with a secondary primer in Jotamastic 90 can withstand the harshest of marine conditions.
Marine Pontoon in Ultrithane 31 with Anti-Skid Aggregate layer visible
Pontoons painted in 2K ready for shipping
The Full 3 Stage Paint System
The full recommended paint system can be seen here for marine applications as a visual.
Looking for marine corrosion advice or paint advice? Check us out below.
Need More Advice?
Got a question?
Our Total Paint Shop Support Team can help you with any enquiries, from product advice to looking after each other in the face of COVID-19.
For more information:
Call: 01302 856666
Sign up for new updates as we release them: Sign up
YouTube: Need advice but like watching short videos? Check out our YouTube Help Channel.
Download: Ultrimax Catalogue
- Sheffield Dunelt Motorbike Restoration in Ultrithane 21
- Prestech Agricultural Refurbishment – Rust to Topcoat
- How to select the best spray gun tips for your paint job
- How a Paint Strainer can save you time & improve your job
- How to use a Dry Film Thickness and Wet Film Thickness Gauge
- 3M PPS Cups System – Why you need one?
- Which Spray Booth Do I Need? (Dry Filter, Water Wash or Inflatable!)
- Why is Jotun Paint so good?
- Paint Drying Racks – Why they save you Time, Money & Bottlenecks
- Paint Booth Heater – why you should use one in hot and cold conditions
- Paint finishing Problems – Youtube channel
- 3 Ways a Paint Drying Rack Saves Time, Money and Bottlenecks
- How Often Should You Change Spray Booth Filters?
- Water Treatment for Your Water Wash Spray Booth
- 5 Reasons to Use a Peelable Paint Booth Coating